Thanksgiving Recipe Ideas
Thanksgiving is the day for showing gratitude and thanking God for sumptuous meals and a healthy household. The festival owes its origination to the European influence over North America, according to which, prior and post a good harvest, people would gather with their entire family and enjoy the abundance or quality of food, that the Almighty has graced on them, and hence Thanksgiving is another name for having multiple courses of food, specially made for the occasion.
The most famous food items for this festival are, roasted turkey, lobsters, venison,oyster,baked potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, mince meat pie, fruit cake, and wine. Now a days, the traditional turkey has been replaced by a goose or a duck, though most of the families prefer to stick t the tradition.
The festive spirit of the day lies mainly, in the preparations for the meal, that the entire family would contribute in. Along with the traditional dishes and food items, many new Thanksgiving recipe ideas have been coming to the picture. As it is a special day for special meals,innovative and experimenting recipe ideas for the family dinner have been acknowledged.
Top Recipes For Thanksgiving
Have a look at some of these best recipe ideas for thanksgiving.
1. Herb Roasted Glazed Turkey
1 - 15 Lb Fresh Whole Turkey
3 - Large Lemons
2 - Large Limes
1 1/2 tsp - Salt
1/2 tsp - Black Pepper (coarsely ground)
1/4 cup - Dry White Wine
1/4 cup - Packed Brown Sugar
1 bunch - Fresh Sage
1 bunch - Marjoram
1 bunch - Thyme
- Rinse turkey well in cold running water.
- Drain the water and blot it dry with paper towels.
- Turkey's neck and giblets are to be reserved for gravy.
- Peel and squeeze lemons and limes to have 2 tablespoons juice of each.
- Sprinkle salt in the turkey's cavity.
- Cut the rest of the lemons and limes in half and place them in the cavity.
- Prepare the glaze by mixing the wine, brown sugar and citrus juices in a small bowl.
- Scrape slice of thin from the turkey breast while being careful not to detach it completely and put 1 tablespoon of marjoram and 1 table of sage under the sliced skin.
- Fold the skin of the neck and fasten it to the back with the help of skewers.
- Fold the wings under the back and the legs to the tucked position.
- Rub turkey thoroughly with salt, pepper and oil and place it in a rack in a large shallow pan, breast side up.
- Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh of the turkey while being careful not to touch its pointed end to the bone.
- Heat the oven to 325° F and roast the turkey in it for about four hours.
- During the last hour, add the pan drippings to the turkey.
- Baste with the citrus glaze prepared above during the last 30 minutes in the oven.
- After covering the turkey with the glaze, cover it loosely with aluminum foil.
- Continue to roast until thermometer registers 180° F in the thigh.
- Let the turkey cool for about 20 minutes before carving.
2. Bread Stuffing Recipe
8 to 10 cups - Bread Cubes
½ cup - Butter
1 cup - Onion (chopped)
½ cup - Celery with Leaves (chopped)
1 teaspoon - Salt
¼ teaspoon - Pepper
2 teaspoons - Poultry Seasoning (or mixture of Sage, Savory, Thyme and Marjoram too)
3. Chiles Rellenos
- Fresh bread should be used for a soft and moist dressing while dried bread for a lighter and fluffier dressing.
- Melt butter in a frying pan.
- Cook onion and celery in the butter until they are softened.
- Add them to the breadcrumbs and seasonings.
- For moist dressing, mix the stuffing well with the hot broth.
- Stuff the turkey with this bread stuffing and roast it.
- The amount of stuffing should be enough for an 8 to 10 pound turkey.
1 can - 28 oz Whole Tomatoes
½ cup - Chopped Onion
2 cloves - Garlic (minced)
1-1/3 cups - Dark Turkey Meat (cooked and chopped)
¼ cup - Raisins (chopped)
2 tbsp - Slivered Almonds (chopped)
¼ tsp - Salt
¼ tsp - Cinnamon (ground)
1/8 tsp - Pepper
1 dash - Cloves (ground)
2 cups - Chicken Broth (divided)
4 cans - 4 oz Green Chiles (whole, roasted and drained)
1 tbsp - Margarine
2 tbsp - All-Purpose Flour
½ cup - Skim Milk
1 - Egg Yolk
3 - Egg Whites
Makes about 4 servings.
- Drain the tomatoes while reserving the liquid for later use.
- Chop the tomatoes and set them aside.
- Heat a nonstick skillet at medium and spray it with cooking spray.
- When it is hot, put onion and garlic in it and sauté until tender.
- Add turkey, raisins, almonds, salt, pepper and cloves to it.
- Cook for 2 minutes, while stirring constantly.
- Add 1 cup broth and ½ cup chopped tomatoes to it.
- Cook for 15 minutes while stirring frequently.
- Gently rinse chilies under cold, running water.
- Drain well and pat dry with paper towels.
- Put about ¼ cup turkey mixture into each chili with help of a spoon.
- Take 4 casserole dishes and spray them with cooking spray.
- Place 2 filled chilies in each and set aside.
- Melt margarine in a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Sprinkle with flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Keep stirring as you add milk gradually and cook it until it thickens. Then remove from heat.
- Mix ¼ of the milk mixture with egg yolk well and then add rest of the mixture to it.
- Set it aside while you beat egg whites at high speed in a copper mixing bowl until it yields stiff peaks.
- Stir ¼ of egg whites into milk mixture.
- Gently fold in remaining egg whites and spread about ½ cup of this egg white mixture over the stuffed chilies with spoon.
- Bake at 425° F for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Boil the tomato liquid, rest of the chopped tomatoes and 1 cup chicken broth and cook them till they thicken into a sauce.
- Serve the green turkey chilies with this tomato sauce while hot.
4. Dutch Potato Filling
5 pounds - Potatoes
1 cup - Celery (diced)
1 ½ cup - Onion (diced)
¾ cup - Fresh Parsley
4 - Eggs
1 cup - Margarine
3 cups - Bread (cubed)
1 to 2 cups - Milk
5. Fruit and Turkey Salad
- Boil potatoes with salt.
- Sauté celery and onions with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper in 2-tablespoon oil until tender.
- Add ½ cup of margarine and soak parsley in it.
- Drain the potatoes.
- In a large container, add potatoes, rest of the margarine, 1-teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper and 1 ¼ teaspoon celery salt and mix them well using electric beater.
- Add eggs, celery and onion mixture to the mixture.
- Use the pan in which you cooked the celery and onion mixture to moisten bread cubes in enough milk and cook them a little.
- Add them to the potatoes and add seasoning to taste.
- Put the mixture in baking dish greased with butter and bake at 400° F for one hour until golden brown.
2 cups - Turkey (cooked and chopped)
½ cup - Celery (sliced)
½ cup - Plain low- fat Yogurt
1 tbsp - Mayonnaise
1 tbsp - Honey
1 tsp - Orange Rind (grated)
1/8 tsp - Salt
2 - Medium Oranges
Lettuce Leaves (peeled and sectioned)
1 cup - Fresh Strawberries (halved)
1 - Small Banana (sliced)
Makes 4 servings.
- Mix well, turkey and celery, and set them aside.
- Mix honey, salt, orange rind, mayonnaise and yogurt together and pour over turkey mixture.
- Toss them together gently.
- Cover the vessel and chill.
- Line the serving plates with lettuce leaves and arrange orange sections on them.
- Toss the turkey mixture with strawberries and banana.
- Serve immediately with the help of spoon.
This salad is good for a refreshing light lunch.
6. Garlic and Rice Turkey Bread
1 cup - Long-Grain Rice
1 can - Chicken Broth (14½ ounces)
½ cup - White Wine
2 tbsp - Parsley (dried)
½ tsp - Rosemary (dried)
½ tsp - Thyme (dried)
½ tsp - Sage (dried)
1 - Bay Leaf
1 - Bone in Turkey's Breast (5-6 Pounds)
3 cloves - Garlic
Makes 4 servings.
- Mix rice, broth, wine, parsley, rosemary, thyme, sage and bay leaf together in the Dutch oven.
- Place the turkey in this mixture and sprinkle it generously with paprika.
- Cut the root ends of garlic cloves and place the whole bulbs in the rice around turkey's breast.
- Cover top of the oven with foil and lid.
- Bake at 350° F until the meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh of the turkey with its pointed end away from the bone registers 180° F temperature.
- Let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
- Carve the turkey into slices and serve on platter with the rice mixture and garlic.
Enjoy a Thanksgiving Feast with the incredibly mouthwatering delicacies from us.